Register to receive product news and information from Fresenius Kabi
Fill out the fields below and we will contact you with more information.
Kabiven and Perikabiven three-chamber bags must be mixed prior to infusion. For admixing instructions see INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE in the prescribing information.
INDICATIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF USE
- Kabiven and Perikabiven are each indicated as a source of calories, protein, electrolytes and essential fatty acids for adult patients requiring parenteral nutrition when oral or enteral nutrition is not possible, insufficient, or contraindicated. Kabiven and Perikabiven may be used to prevent essential fatty acid deficiency or treat negative nitrogen balance in adult patients.
- Kabiven is indicated for intravenous infusion into a central vein.
- Perikabiven is indicated for intravenous infusion into a peripheral or central vein.
- Neither Kabiven nor Perikabiven is recommended for use in pediatric patients < 2 years, including preterm infants because the fixed content of the formulations do not meet the nutritional requirements in this age group.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Deaths in preterm infants have been reported in literature.
- Autopsy findings included intravascular fat accumulation in the lungs.
- Preterm and low birth weight infants have poor clearance of intravenous lipid emulsion and increased free fatty acid plasma levels following lipid emulsion infusion.
- Known hypersensitivity to egg, soybean proteins, peanut proteins, corn or corn products, or to any of the active substances or excipients.
- Severe hyperlipidemia or severe disorders of lipid metabolism with serum triglycerides >1000 mg/dL.
- Inborn errors of amino acid metabolism.
- Cardiopulmonary instability.
- Hemophagocytic syndrome.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Kabiven is hypertonic and may cause vein irritation, vein damage and even thrombosis if infused in a peripheral vein. Only infuse Kabiven into a central vein.
- Monitor for signs or symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions and discontinue infusion if reactions occur.
- Monitor patient closely for signs and symptoms of infection, hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia and refeeding complications.
- Monitor laboratory parameters for alterations in electrolytes, liver and renal impairment, fluid status and coagulation parameters. Adjust rate and dose of Kabiven and Perikabiven according to clinical status.
To report suspected adverse reactions, contact Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC, at 1-800-551-7176 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.