Kabiven helps pharmacistsSimplify compounding
Kabiven can help support PN safety and minimize the risk of contamination
- All-in-one bag limits the risk of contamination that may be introduced by traditional compounding1
- A single infusion line eliminates the need to piggyback lipids
- Additive and infusion ports are sterile for the first use*
- Clear Instructions for Use (IFU) and illustrations on the bag facilitate proper activation
Kabiven may reduce errors and follows A.S.P.E.N. PN safety recommendations2,3
- Kabiven can be used alongside compounded PN formulations to best meet patient needs2,3
- Facilitates standardization to minimize errors associated with ordering, transcription, and compounding2
A.S.P.E.N. and ISMP suggest commercially premixed bags as an option for improved safety4
- Three-chamber bags are designed to keep macronutrients stable over shelf life5
- Eliminates the need for automated compounding devices that can have several critical points of failure2
- Kabiven is batch tested prior to commercial release
- Additives with known compatibility can be injected aseptically
- All-in-one Kabiven helps decrease reliance on outsourced compounding pharmacies
Kabiven offers flexible storage options with environmentally friendly non-PVC and non-DEHP bags that are not made with natural rubber latex
- Up to 24 months shelf life at 20–25°C (68–77°F)
- Use Kabiven immediately after activation. Without additives, the activated Kabiven bag can be stored for up to 7 days under refrigeration [2° to 8° C (36° to 46°F)]. After removal from refrigeration, the activated bag should be used within 48 hours.
- Once additives are introduced, use Kabiven immediately. If not used immediately, the activated bag with additives may be stored for up to 24 hours at 2–8°C (36–46°F)
- Perkabiven should be used immediately after mixing and introduction of additives. If not used immediately, the storage time and conditions prior to use should not be longer than 24 hours at 2-8C (36-46F). After removal from storage, the admixture should be infused within 24 hrs.
Learn about nutrient ranges
Kabiven and Perikabiven three-chamber bags must be mixed prior to infusion. For admixing instructions see INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE in the prescribing information.
INDICATIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF USE
- Kabiven and Perikabiven are each indicated as a source of calories, protein, electrolytes and essential fatty acids for adult patients requiring parenteral nutrition when oral or enteral nutrition is not possible, insufficient, or contraindicated. Kabiven and Perikabiven may be used to prevent essential fatty acid deficiency or treat negative nitrogen balance in adult patients.
- Kabiven is indicated for intravenous infusion into a central vein.
- Perikabiven is indicated for intravenous infusion into a peripheral or central vein.
- Neither Kabiven nor Perikabiven is recommended for use in pediatric patients < 2 years, including preterm infants because the fixed content of the formulations do not meet the nutritional requirements in this age group.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Deaths in preterm infants have been reported in literature.
- Autopsy findings included intravascular fat accumulation in the lungs.
- Preterm and low birth weight infants have poor clearance of intravenous lipid emulsion and increased free fatty acid plasma levels following lipid emulsion infusion.
- Known hypersensitivity to egg, soybean proteins, peanut proteins, corn or corn products, or to any of the active substances or excipients.
- Severe hyperlipidemia or severe disorders of lipid metabolism with serum triglycerides >1000 mg/dL.
- Inborn errors of amino acid metabolism.
- Cardiopulmonary instability.
- Hemophagocytic syndrome.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Kabiven is hypertonic and may cause vein irritation, vein damage and even thrombosis if infused in a peripheral vein. Only infuse Kabiven into a central vein.
- Monitor for signs or symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions and discontinue infusion if reactions occur.
- Monitor patient closely for signs and symptoms of infection, hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia and refeeding complications.
- Monitor laboratory parameters for alterations in electrolytes, liver and renal impairment, fluid status and coagulation parameters. Adjust rate and dose of Kabiven and Perikabiven according to clinical status.
To report suspected adverse reactions, contact Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC, at 1-800-551-7176 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.